Wednesday, February 2, 2011

To Sleep Perchance to Dream

Those of you who know me also know that I very easily become obsessed with certian things, especially where my kids are concerned.  Right now, I am obsessed with my baby's sleep.  It's certianly understandable, I think most moms of infants are (at least that's what I am telling myself!).

I think I set myself up for failure with Ella.  When I was pregnant with her, I imagined she would come out and be very mellow (like her brother) and sleep anywhere, all the time.  Because, hey, she's the second child, don't they have to "go with the flow?"  Well, boy was I wrong!  The world revolves around Ella because she demands that it do so!

Ella is not a good sleeper at all.  Not during the day, not at night, not ever.  So, being obsessed with this (and having to deal with a tired cranky baby all day) I began my quest for the magic fix that will help my baby sleep!  In my reading, most of the experts say that a rough "schedule" should look something like this: baby eats, baby plays, baby sleeps.  And baby should not stay awke for more than 2 hours inbetween sleeps.  Oh, and also baby should sleep in the same place everytime, and lay down sleepy but not asleep.  Oh, yeah, and baby should not need any "props" for sleep (paci, mommy, etc.)

So, I have started to try to implement some of these suggestions... which basically means my entire life consists of soothing a baby to sleep (and then back to sleep).  I have to believe this will help me in the long run and help Ella get the sleep she needs.  So far though, I have not seen any consistent results.

Next on the list, I will try to get my baby to sleep A LOT longer at night (oh and also get her out of my bed during the night) -- not sure that will happen for a while though!

and THAT, my friends, is why mommy needs coffee!

little no-sleeping cutie
(she even looks tired in this picture)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the quest Leslie, by the sounds of it, it could be a long one... I hate all these parenting books and talking to mums whose kids sleep through the night the day after they are born...
    At least Starbucks won't get out of business in Denver...

    ReplyDelete